The name Marda Loop comes from two significant landmarks in local history. “Marda” comes from the former Marda Theatre (1953-1988), which was founded by Mark and Mada Jenkins at the corner of 33rd Avenue and 20th Street SW. “Marda” is a combination of the founder’s names. The “Loop” comes from the historic streetcar line that looped around the area between 1913 and 1950. It it was replaced by an electric trolley bus that went down 33rd Avenue to a turnaround loop near 22nd Street. In 1984, local businesses came together to found a “Business Revitalization Zone” or “BRZ” (nowadays called a Business Improvement Area or BIA). They held a contest to come up with a name and “Marda Loop” was chosen. Although both the streetcar and the theatre are long gone, the name and the history are still an important part of the area.
Find out more about our history at www.visitmardaloop.com/history