- A new road surface and new and improved sidewalks
- There will be curb extensions (bump outs) at intersections for safer pedestrian crossings and safer vehicle turn movements
- Enmax will bury the overhead power lines on the north side of 34th Avenue and on 19th Street
- There will be a new “multi-use path” on the south side of 34th Avenue for walking, cycling, strollers, etc. The path will also go up 22nd Street to connect to the BRT stop
- New benches, planters, trees, light poles and other features
- Feature areas highlighting Marda Loop history and art
Any Driving or Parking Changes?
- There will be two-way traffic (as before) on 33rd and 34th Avenues
- There will be street parking on both sides of the street
- Traffic lights will replace the old four-way stops on 34th Avenue at 20th and 22nd St., to better manage traffic flow and make the intersections safer.
- A flashing pedestrian signal will be installed at 33rd Avenue and 19th
- Improvements to the “Loop within the Loop” area, the block between 34th Avenue and 36th Avenues, between 18th and 19th Streets, mean that 18th Street will be one-way southbound for one block, and 19th Street will be one-way northbound for between 35th and 34th
There are more details, illustrations and FAQs on all aspects of the project here: www.calgary.ca/mardaloop.
Check back here as plans progress!